Wednesday, April 21, 2010

TOEFL Speaking Task 2

Hello again! I am M.Ara and this is my second post. Now, I will be sharing with you a strategy on how to improve your scores on Task 2 of the TOEFL iBT Speaking section.

In this part of the test, you will be given a question that either 1) asks you to Agree/ Disagree on a given statement or 2) asks you about your preference between two or more choices.

Examples:
Agree/disagree
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should spend only for the academics and not on sports and other leisure activities. Give reasons and examples to support your answer.

Preference
Would you prefer to live in a country with temperate climate or a country with tropical climate?

It is very important to take note of the GIVE REASONS AND EXAMPLES. Some test takers get a low score because they fail to give supporting details for their responses.

How to answer these questions? EASY! Just make sure you have the following:
A. Agree/Disagree
- your opinion (agree or disagree?)
- reason 1
- details and examples
- reason 2
- details and examples

B. Preference
- your choice
- reason 1
- details and examples
- reason 2
- details and examples

Always remember to have at least TWO reasons and support them with details and examples.

Example Answers:
Agree/Disagree
- your opinion -> DISAGREE
- reason 1 -> MANY THINGS TO LEARN OUTSIDE CLASSROOM
- details and examples -> SOCIAL SKILLS FROM SPORTS AND CLASS TRIPS
- reason 2 -> MANY STUDENTS FEEL BORED
- details and examples -> MANY STUDENTS QUIT SCHOOL, MORE FUN UNIV. LIFE BETTER

Although it is very important to have a good academic program in the university, I disagree with the idea that the university should spend only on the academics. For one, the university should encourage well-rounded education which does not only involve reading books or staying in the classroom. Important social skills can be learned in sports and other activities such as socializations and class trips. Furthermore, university students often get burned out. For instance, many of the students quit studying because they do not enjoy the classes anymore. So, I think if the university promotes extracurricular activities, then perhaps there can be a venue for the students to have fun and relieve their stress.

Preference
- your choice -> TEMPERATE CLIMATE
- reason 1 -> LIKE CHANGING SEASON
- details and examples -> MORE EXCITING
- reason 2 -> I LOVE WHITE CHRISTMAS
- details and examples -> FEEL THE XMAS SPIRIT; TROPICAL - NO SNOW (EX. VISIT IN THE PHILIPPINES LAST YEAR)

I would like to live in a country that has a temperate climate. For one, I like the changing seasons. This makes me look forward to something new every time such as fashion, fruits, and the fabulous landscapes, unlike tropical regions which I find unexciting and monotonous. In addition, I really enjoy a White Christmas. Last Christmas, I visited my cousins who live in the Philippines and even though they were very festive, I did not fully enjoy the celebration because I missed the gorgeous view of White Christmas. For these reasons, I strongly prefer to live in a country with temperate climate than one with a tropical climate.

TIPS!:
To make your answers sound as if you also "deeply considered" the other option, you can begin with a statement of concession before you say your opinion or choice.

(huh? what is a statement of con..con..seee...what?). Look at the example below:

Although there are many benefits to living in a tropical region, I believe that it is better for me to.....

Even though some students and administrators believe that it is important to spend only on the academics, I strongly believe that it is equally important to spend on leisure activities.....

The bold-faced words are the statement of concession. This can make your response sound better as if you really thought of your response seriously. ^^

I hope that this was helpful to you! Once again, this is M.Ara and, if you have any questions or comments or suggestions, please leave a comment and I will answer your query as soon as I can. Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

3 comments: